[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight's Eclipse

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:55:20 +0000

A group of about 10 observers set up in front of the Arizona Science Center
to view the eclipse with the public.  Scopes from a 90mm ETX up to a 10"
LX200 were present, including my trusty C8 and sundry binoculars.  Most
attendees were from the Phoenix Astronomical Society, while two were from
SAC.  (Myself and Glenn Nishimoto.)
  There was a croud of about 100 people, also attending a "Member's Night"
at the science center, so they were quite enthusiastic.  Views of Jupiter
before dark and Saturn in twilight were enjoyed by all.
The eclipse itself I thought was quite interesting.  I did notice the "C"
shape mentioned by Tom and the color was somewhat muted, but the brightness
was good, especially given the lighing at Wesley Bolin Plaza.  :-/  One
thing it was hard to get the mind around was as it waned, watching the
terminator move across the Moon, many were expecting to see the details of
the Moon stand out as they do at local sunrise.  I kept having to say, "No,
it's still a full Moon.  Just a shadow in front!"  :-)  That said, the
details on several lunar features was striking as the eclipes waned.  Keplr,
Plato and Copernicus were particularly striking, the ray system especially
so.
If ever you get the chance to show such an event to the public, I highly
recommend it.  Set up the scope in your driveway or on the sidewalk and see
the reactions of the people when they look through.  It's exhiliarating!

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman