[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight's Eclipse

  • From: jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:20:23 -0700

Both then definitely L=0 on the Danjon scale (reproduced below courtesy Fred
Espenak). I'd say last night's was pretty close to the middle of the range,
L=2. Details were easily visible but the moon coloring was grayish. Didn't
see much if any redness.

      L = 0     Very dark eclipse.
               Moon almost invisible, especially at mid-totality.

     L = 1     Dark Eclipse, gray or brownish in coloration.
               Details distinguishable only with difficulty.

     L = 2     Deep red or rust-colored eclipse.
               Very dark central shadow, while outer edge of umbra
               is relatively bright.

     L = 3     Brick-red eclipse.
               Umbral shadow usually has a bright or yellow rim.

     L = 4     Very bright copper-red or orange eclipse.
               Umbral shadow has a bluish, very bright rim.

or at:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/Danjon.html

Jack