[AZ-Observing] Re: Rubylith source for using notebook PC at night?

  • From: "Gene A. Lucas" <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"\"Lucas, Gene\" work" <gene.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:34:35 -0700

You might try FLAX, a graphics arts supply store located on East
Jefferson St. and approx. 12th Street, in downtown Phoenix (maybe call
ahead).  In the past, they have stocked sheets of heavyweight RUBY RED
transparent plastic (as well as other colors) -- It is used as lighting
filters for theatrical use.  Approx. 24 inch square sheets are about
$4-5 (maybe slightly more now).  Maybe one of the other arts & crafts
stores like "Michaels" might also have it.  Cutout disks work GREAT on
flashlights, too!

I don't think you will be satisfied with "Rubylith" because it is
actually more of an orange-red color.  (FYI, for those who are not
familiar, Rubylith is a transparent plastic that is used for production
of artwork for printed circuit boards and "knockout" overlays for
old-style graphics production, to cover portions of the artwork to make
layered masters or separations.  The repro film is not sensitive to the
orange-red color, so it reproduces as black -- transparent in negative
-- in the separations.)

Another possibility is to ALSO purchase and use a black fabric "hood"
which restricts the viewing angle of the laptop screen.  This is like a
fold up sun screen for cars, sort of funnel shaped, black fabric on a
spring wire frame.  Hooks onto the laptop screen area with velcro.  I
got mine from "Hoodman", who had a display at RTMC a couple of years
ago.  They make various gadgets for the motion picture industry.  See
this URL:  http://www.hoodmanusa.com/Default.htm
They make these for laptops, LCD screens and veiwfinders on camcorders,
etc.

Maybe you could construct such a lightweight fold-up "hood" from foam
core mounting board -- comes in BLACK as well as white.  (Again, from
FLAX or art supply stores).

Of course, many astro software packs allow for "night vision" mode,
which turns screen colors deep red. Unfortunately, most laptops do not
have full control of the intensity of the lighting on the screen (LCD
backlights are typically flourescent bulbs, difficult to dim.)  DEEP
RUBY RED plastic overlayered on a monitor screen helps YOU, but is still
really not sufficient to restrict the stray light going out to other
nearby observers. I know, I have been yelled at plenty of times over the
years for my video monitors, even at public star parties!  This is a
touchy subject, one that needs some close attention so as not to offend
others who want to preserve THEIR night vision!!

Cheers, DARK skies,
Gene Lucas
(17250)