[AZ-Observing] Re: Rubylith source for using notebook PC at night?

  • From: "William R Wood" <wmrwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:38:47 -0700

Joe,

I like the 1/16" or 1/8" red plexiglass that you can get from Century
Plastics but if you want real Rubylith contact:

http://www.scopestuff.com

Scroll down to Red Things and you will see the Rubylith sheets.  The
Rubylith sheets are too small for my laptop which has a big screen so make
sure you measure yours.

FYI I use Chip Clips (actually called Jr Clips) to hold my red plastic sheet
on my laptop.  I tried stick-on velcro pads but it was too hard to get the
red sheet off and the glue started to melt or something and the velcro pads
were slipping out of place.  So I removed the velcro and got the Chip Clips
from a stationery store that have soft rubber grippers that work perfectly.

Tom P is correct that most folks have thier screens too bright.  My laptop
has a brightness adjustment and I turn it all the way down and that plus the
red filter sheet plus running my star software in nightvision mode works
perfectly.  I use a 1/16" red sheet which is plenty stiff enough for me, the
1/8" sheet made my screen too dark.  I suggest buying a spare since they get
scratched plus its a good idea to keep the spare in your car in case you
forget the other one which I did once.

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ