[AZ-Observing] Re: Rubylith source for using notebook PC at night?

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:29:47 -0600

Rubylith is not orange-red. It is ruby red. You are thinking of amberlith
which is orange-red. Don't get that. Get rubylith, which is red.

A hood is not necessary at all with a laptop. As I stated before, rubylith
also cuts out the off-axis glow that other methods don't eliminate. This
used with either the light gray or light red night vision mode on Megastar
is all I needed to successfully hunt 15th mag galaxies. There are no side
light leaks either since the sheet is flush against the screen and frame. It
can be cut to fit the frame perfectly. The sheets available at Arizona Art
Supply were about 4 times as much as I needed and were only about $5.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Public Events
Phoenix AZ