[AZ-Observing] Re: Phoenix man sentenced for shining laser at two commercial airliners, police helicopter over Valley

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:57:32 -0700

Totally agree about TSA and FAA being heavy-handed. That said, laws are
laws, and stupidity is no defense, but imho you gotta make a
prosecutorial distinction between "intent to cause harm" and
"stupidity." Rick's caution about certain parts of the Valley (where
star parties are done) having vulnerable air traffic patterns is good
advice for all of us. I'd hate to be busted doing public outreach just
because some aircraft got momentarily flashed by my laser.

Richard's comment is understandable ... most of us on this forum are
well-educated about the hazards of laser pointers, so we're sorta
"preaching to the choir." But I still think it's a good discussion to
have. There be some newbies here too.

Dan Heim