[AZ-Observing] NGC 4490(Cocoon Galaxy) and NGC 4485

  • From: "Bernard Miller" <bgmiller011@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 21:05:23 -0700

Hi,

Here is a pair of interacting galaxies you don't see very often. They have
already collided or interacted, leaving each with an irregular shape. It is
believed they were both spiral galaxies before their interaction. I have
shown the cropped version, but you can click on the link for the uncropped
version. There are dozens of faint galaxies in the uncropped version. I also
had some stray light in this image and I used a Photoshop technique to fix
it. I am curious if anyone can tell what part of the image was fixed. I have
never tried this technique before and I am curious to know if it is obvious.

http://www.azstarman.net/NGC4490.htm

Bernard