[AZ-Observing] Re: NGC 4490(Cocoon Galaxy) and NGC 4485

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 15:15:28 -0400

Wayne, Bernie, Tom, et al;

Who would have thunk it??

If you had said to me in the 1980's that amateurs with something like
15,000 dollars worth of equipment would be able to produce images of the
deep sky that we are comparing to shots from Mt. Palomar...I would have
looked into having you put away for a while.

Several times Tom Polakis has shown up at club meetings with excellent
images of the planets and solar detail with the new German DMK camera that
he bought for less than a thousand dollars.  I shot many, many rolls of
film at Saturn and Mars hoping for just one shot to turn out good enough
to show some detail...and rarely got it.

It is utterly amazing to me that the digital CCD and software revolution
that has happened in the last 20 years or so has gotten us to here.
Stunning detail in bright objects and a field of view covered in faint and
very faint DSOs everywhere you look.  I don't want to join in, but I am
fascinated by the results.

Thanks to all our astroimagers for sharing;
Steve Coe