[AZ-Observing] Re: Messier Marathon

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:44:53 -0700

> reminds me (not that you do) one thing we need to stress at outings is
> not driving when sleepy but catch a couple hours at least before any
> long drive. Driving while sleepy is one of the most dangerous endeavors
> there is and should NEVER be attempted.

Hey All,

While several of us only caught a couple hour nap between 12 and 2am, we
couldn't see trying to get to sleep with an ever-brightening sky.  (my day
job keeps me on the daylight schedule.)  But we also came prepared.  Armed
with CB's, we managed to keep each other alert and alive for the trip home.
Sure makes the drive go a ton faster, and it's amazing how much more awake
you can stay just by driving on a conversation.  Just a trick that
new-to-astronomy types may have not already heard of.

Thad

Thad Robosson
Double star enthusiast
Member Saguaro Astronomy Club
ATM group chairman
Owner/operator Twin Points Observatory
33 27 N, 112 19 W
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

"In what was facetiously called 'the Univeristy of the Far East',
the better-educated officers lectured enlisted men in history,
French, and biology.  Astronomy was the most popular class of all.
Lying on their backs beneath the Southern Cross, the POWs followed
the course of the stars and planets, bathed themselves in meteor
showers, and took their minds off this world by contemplating others."

From "Ghost Soldiers", an account of the Cabanatuan POW Camp
during WWII,by Hampton Sides.

The use of your 'delete' key is authorized...