[AZ-Observing] Messier Marathon

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:17:54 -0700

Howdy all;

Regardless of a breezy day, the evening calmed down nicely and lots of folks
enjoyed a fun evening.  Some took on the Messier list and some (me too) just
make their way around a very clear Arizona sky.  I rated the transparency at 7,
but the wind had the seeing going from 5 to 6.  After observing some objects in
Gemini and Hydra, I made my way around the field to see how other folks were
doing.  I heard a vehicle count of 62 in twilight, so I didn't get to all of
them, obviously.

A big THANK YOU to the EVAC club and their members for providing a great hot
dog and hamburger lunch at 3 PM.  Lot of folks came over for a hot meal and
chance to chat before it got dark.

Lynn Blackburn and I observed M3 in his new 5 inch refractor and got a sharp
view with a 9mm eyepiece.  Dwight Bogan was nice enough to put his 10 inch
Maksutov on NGC 3243 for me and it showed lots of internal detail with a 17mm
eyepiece.  Tom Polakis was way ahead of the M objects that were rising and so
we scanned around Virgo for a while, he was just passing the time until the
next Messier objects got up.  Mike Mello was getting caught up and I sneaked a
peak at M 68 in his 8 inch Maksutov Newtonian, very nice and sharp.  Sorry, I
know that I looked through some other people's telescopes, but I just don't
remember who.

I had the best of plans, I was going to lay down for two hours and let Scorpius
and Ophiuchus get up, but I REALLY went to sleep and despite Dave
Fredericksen's best efforts, I was not wakeable.  I guess I need a louder alarm
clock......or just pay Dave to make certain that I am up.

All in all, a very fun weekend, lots of good observing.

See you for Sentinel-Schwaar next New Moon;
Steve Coe

stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx
Author:  Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist
Saguaro Astronomy Club web site: