[AZ-Observing] Re: Meade Thrives

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 20:35:13 -0700

While I fear getting into the "fray", I do believe that Meade would be
better served if they focused a bit more on their customer service. It was
the lack there of that gave me cause to return their scope and go Celestron.
Celestron was like the old Avis rental car commercials. They were number two
so they seemed to try harder and have never found myself lacking when I had
a question, needed advice, had an issue, etc. Now with that said, do I wish
Celestron would come out with an "ACF" OTA, yes I do. Does the coma in any
of my SCT's bother me enough to sell my existing stable to get one, no. I do
think that Meade has some technologies that surpass that of Celestron but
mostly on the fringe, in the "gee that's kinda neat" area.
A lot of times I consider the Celestron / Meade argument in the same manor I
do the Ford / Chevy one. People sometimes think their make is best for no
more reason than their daddy drove one. But for me, in the case of Meade /
Celestron, I'm big on relationship, so the customer service and friendly
people who tried hard to make sure I was happy with the product made all the
difference.

Jimmy Ray