[AZ-Observing] Re: Meade Thrives

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 19:28:58 -0700

Apparently, many reputable people on this list have had problems with
Meade. I have had some, but not anywhere near to the animosity some have
to the company. I bought a number of products, and have been satisfied
with them all, except for the one QT(?) eyepiece I bought. The 10" LXD75
I bought about 4 years ago is great, the eyepieces and filters I bought
from them about 20 years ago are good, the DSI Pro I and II that I
bought are good considering what I paid for them, and the 16" LX200R I
bought is fantastic for the price. I thank Jeff Hopkins for setting me
on to this. Could some be expecting too much from the company? After
all, when one can buy a complete 16" system including OTA, drives,
mount, software that works reasonably well, for only $12000, is it
reasonable to expect top of the line support, and a nice thick manual,
commensurate with a much more expensive telescope? The Paramount alone
costs as much as the whole system I have. I think when one buys a real
bargain like the 16" I have, which works good, one has to expect to try
and solve things on your own and to belong to discussion groups whose
purpose is to help eachother.
Stan