[AZ-Observing] Re: M57

  • From: billferris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:21:22 -0400

Atmospheric seeing is another contributor. The central star is seen against the
subtle nebulosity filling the planetary's annulus. Typically, magnifications of
350X or greater and good seeing are required to make the detection. High
magnification lowers the surface brightness of the background nebulosity
enough to allow the ~15.2 magnitude central star to emerge. If the seeing is
soft, the star bloats and blends into the background nebulostiy. But when the
seeing steadies, the central star pops into view. On nights when the central
star is visible, nearby IC 1296 makes a fine challenge for moderate to large
aperture.
Bill in Flag