[AZ-Observing] Re: M57

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:53:04 -0700

On 06/20/13 17:42, Steve D. wrote:
> I'm really sorry, but I've never seen this target look anything like this.
> Great data, but maaaaybe just a bit too much processing?  Maybe it's just me.

  I had the opportunity to make a visual observation of M57 under the
best circumstances I'm ever likely to experience just this past Tuesday
morning. My impressions:

  - At least four stars were visible within the nebula, beside the
central star. Three were obvious and the fourth was somewhat difficult,
but confirmed in a deep image I found after returning home. In previous
observations of this object through telescopes up to 600 mm aperture,
I've never been able to conclusively detect the central star, so being
able to see that in addition to several others was quite impressive by
itself.

  - Nebulosity was visible across the object, with obvious concentration
around the periphery to form the ring structure.

  - No obvious color was observed, however I may have detected just a
hint of red at the outer edge of the ring.

  - Some structure was evident within the ring, but nothing obvious in
the central illumination.

  - Ansae was visible, though not to the extent as seen in M40 and a
couple of the other planetaries we observed that night.

  As for Albert's picture, I know of no rules for "proper" image
processing, so the end result comes down to matters of taste. I know
there's a lot of structure beyond the ring we see in our telescopes, and
I think his image does a good job of bringing that out. I'm always
impressed with images which have well focused, round star images.

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx