[AZ-Observing] Re: Green Flash Musings...

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:53:40 -0700

Yeah, that occurred to me too. At least for casual observers who just
get lucky. But for someone seriously seeking a GF, and using GPS with a
digital planetarium, you'd know exactly when and where to look/aim. It's
been done, as that YT video shows (GF comes in around the 1:00
time-stamp). Thinking more about my question, I suspect air layering
might make the difference, especially over water. It comes down to the
ability of water to store heat (compared to air), and transfer that heat
to the air. No? The preponderance of sunset GFs seems to select for cool
air over warm water (or desert terrain).

Dan Heim