[AZ-Observing] Re: Green Flash Musings...

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:37:36 -0700

Happy Holidays Dean (and all),
Great discussion on the green flash. I watch a lot of sunsets from my
deck, on a hill about 1000 ft above the desert floor. Near the winter
solstice, when the Sun is setting around azimuth 240 degrees, I see it
set over the White Tank Mountains west of Phoenix and about 75 miles
distant. I've never seen a "classic" green flash, but on at least 2
occasions have seen a distinctly "greenish-gold" (if you can imagine
that color) tinge to the upper edge of the Sun as it disappears behind
the mountains. I always figured it was due to normal atmospheric
dispersion. There were no mirages that I could notice on those
occasions, though I have seen some nice superior mirages (inverted
peaks) over those mountains. Now I'm wondering if airflow over those
mountains also played a part, given the typical west winds from the coast.

Dan Heim