[AZ-Observing] Re: GCSP North Rim Report

  • From: "Randy Peterson" <rgpeterson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:49:43 -0700

I just looked at Optotronics - if I looked correctly, the weakest laser they
sell for our usage is over 100mw?

I bought a 20 mw unit at the RTMC last year, have used it for dozens of star
parties in the last year, and am happy with it.  Still going strong.
Haven't had anyone say they couldn't see the beam as it was pointing out
objects in the sky, and a great number of the star parties we do are in the
metro Phoenix area, with accompanying light pollution.  It's price is
considerably less than what I saw on Optotronics.

The 5 mw unit I used a couple years ago was not noticable in the city.  I am
of the opinion that 20-35 mw is about right for our usage.  If you can
afford more, that is great, but not necessary IMHO.

I agree it would be interesting to see how far a beam is actually visible.
Not sure how to accomplish that safely, however.

Randy Peterson