[AZ-Observing] Re: GCSP North Rim Report

  • From: George Barber <gbarber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:09:42 -0700

I'll pass this along on the TAAA user's group.  I did find it interesting
that the lasers will travel that distance.  Of course, the beam does
diverge, but still delivers a potent flash even after travelling through 10
miles of smoke, dust, and air.  I did note that last Friday evening when
the North rim responded to the South rim.

I am often asked how far the beam travels "up" by the public whenever I use
a green laser.  I know you can't see the actual beam for 10 miles because
of divergence and scattering, but it would be interesting to know how far
the beam is actually visible.  Perhaps a safe experiment can be arranged in
the future.

Some of us have higher-power lasers, as we hold public star parties where
sky conditions are not as optimal.  This does create a dilemna when it
comes to darker sites like the GCSP.  The laser I purchased has an
adjustable power level, but was rather expensive.  The one I had last year
(a 55 mW) quit working after a few months.  I did a lot of research on
green lasers, and decided to purchase a high-end unit constructed to
perform at the specified power level without exceeding the internal
components' ratings.  The adjustable level is nice, as I can actually
increase or reduce the laser's output depending on what I need.  However,
with such a powerful unit, I do have to be very careful now!  I would not
want to take out orbiting satellites (ha, ha).  I purchased the unit from
Optotronics.

Perhaps we can find a better way to signal each other and say "hi", without
annoying those who are not interested.

George

             "Steven Dodder"
             <sdodder@hotmail.
             Sent by:                  az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             az-observing-boun                                          cc
             ce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       [AZ-Observing] Re: GCSP North Rim
             06/26/2006 06:51          Report
             PM

             Please respond to
             az-observing@free
                 lists.org

Having been on both ends of "laser wars", I'd like to negotiate an
armistice.  It was an interesting experiment, to see how well lasers
traverse the ~9 miles across the canyon, but now it's turned into something

else.
Viewed another way, it was funny at first, but now it's just annoying.
I vote we cease and desist.  Plus, I agree with Tom P.  5mW is plenty in a
dark site.

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman