[AZ-Observing] Re: GCSP North Rim Report

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:48:36 -0700

Wish I could have been there to see just how noticable the laser was
after the 9mile crossing.  Curious minds like to know thse things.  If I
come up next year can we schedule a time?  No pointing north or south
outside the agreed upon laser event?

I use a 35mW unit, the 5mW just is not usuable with most of my public
work in or near the city.  While 35mW is not enough to do real damage
without holding it in the eye for a length of time, that just won't
happen as the blink reflex is much faster. I agree 25-35mW is ideal for
most public work, anything stronger starts to be dangerous.

35mW is very bright at a dark site, I will not generally use it at true
dark sky star party.  A couple weekends at TIMPA ago I borrowed a 5mW
unit from Catt's son Roger instead of pulling out the 35mW unit to point
out Omega Centauri to the beginners we had out for the evening.

Andrew

Jennifer Polakis wrote:

>I'll 2nd that motion, and would like to attach an addendum to limit the
>wattage on laser pointers to something less than blinding and obnoxious.
>Jennifer Polakis

Andrew Cooper