[AZ-Observing] Re: Cloudy May?

  • From: Torsten Clay <tclay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:20:04 -0700 (MST)

>      Well, now you know better and can get information somewhat more
> (but not completely) relevant for astronomical observing.  If it really
> matters to ya, the information's out there---but not on commercial TV/radio.

Friday night was pretty good at Empire Ranch (except for all the
mosquitoes!), and I was the only one observing there.

I like to look at the "Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts" (TAF), as they
include predictions of the amount (and type) of cloud cover. In my
experience they seem to be fairly accurate in the short run (next ~12
hours). You can get them from:

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/taf.shtml

You need to know the code for the nearest airport (I use Tucson, KTUS).
They are in UTC and a little cryptic at first glance..."SKC" means clear
skies.

Torsten
http://personal.riverusers.com/~tclay

---