[AZ-Observing] Re: Cloudy May?

  • From: "Bob Erdmann at ngcic.org" <bobe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:15:20 -0700

Brian,

Your list brings back some fond and not so fond memories.  My notes for 1983
say 93+ straight days of cloudless weather in the spring of that year.  I
have no idea how many were photometric, but I do remember being able to go
observing without having to worry about the weather.  The record was broken
in May by the presence of a single, small, fluffy cloud directly over
Phoenix. This record was for down here in the desert valley, of course.

On the other hand, I distinctly remember the spring of 1992, where monsoon
activity started in April, and Phoenix recorded the wetest & cloudiest year
on record (at least that's what the TV weather folks claimed).  So it would
seem that at the macroscopic level, your records are probably very similar
to the weather down here on the desert floor.

Thanks for the info,

/Bob
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has
endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us
to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
Bob Erdmann - Core Team Member & Webmaster
The NGC/IC Project - http://www.ngcic.org
e-mail: bobe@xxxxxxxxx