[AZ-Observing] Re: 2004 All Arizona Messier Marathon

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:07:01 -0700

At 00:27 -0700 12/12/2003, Steven Dodder wrote:
>It's an interesting idea, Jeff, but I'm not sure a webcam will be sensitive
>enough to capture the fainter Messier objects.  Even fairly bright ones are
>a concern.  I'd imagine the brighter open or globular clusters would be
>doable, but the Virgo Cluster could be a bear, and I'd bet M77 would give
>you trouble..  Good luck anyway!
>   BTW, I thought the great success story was the 2000 marathon.  Previous to
>that, only a handful of folks had seen all 110 in a night while 25 saw them
>all that night.  Rosie and I being 2!
>
>Steve and Rosie Dodder
>sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman

A year ago I would have said doing the Messier objects with a web cam
was not possible. What I have seen in the past year has amazed me.
The web cams have become much more sensitive and there are
inexpensive modifications that make them rival CCD cameras costing in
the thousands of dollars.

I subscribe to the QCUIAG list and get hundreds of messages a day
from all over the world. Some of these people have already shot most
of the M objects with web cameras and posted their results. These are
very impressive. Check
http://home.hetnet.nl/~dukoyy/firmament/astroshow.html
this is one i just got.

My intent is to experiment before the marathon. If I succeed I will
be there with a web cam. Anyone else want to give it a try?

Jeff

http://www.hposoft.com/Astro/astro.html

--
Jeff Hopkins