[austechwriter] Re: usage question: will vs would, shall vs should

  • From: Stuart Lecky <slecky@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:29:26 +1000

>d) I don't know the correct grammar term for, but it feels like an
>imperative, eg, in order to achieve a certain outcome, there are steps
>that the company must (should) take.

Should does not mean must.

"Must" is used to indicate when something has to be done.

"Should" is conditional, it indicates that it is advisable to do something,
but not mandatory.

Must is the imperative, should is optional.  Shall is the present tense of
should and is equally suspect.
Stuart Lecky, Project Manager
HCi               Better communications Better Management
(61-2) 9232 6669 (ph)                            http://www.hci.com.au
(61-2) 9232 1002 (fax)           GPO Box 4846 Sydney 2001  Australia