[austechwriter] Re: usage question: will vs would, shall vs should

  • From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:31:52 +1000

Thou art being annoyingly argumentative tonight, to say the least.

> but if I were to accuse anyone of not knowing what they were
talking about I'd pick you.

As your self-appointed podium would tend to indicate. Be more specific huh?
Sure, pay me to give a shit and I might bother. While we are at it, why
don't you?

> Using the simple present tense (not current tense) generally does not
express imperative - which is what we're talking about here.

Actually we are talking about something else - should versus shall etc. It
twas MY opinion that stated imperative is best.

> When you say "the company sucks eggs" (subject + verb + object) you're
simply describing
what the company does, not telling the company to suck eggs.

Good policy. The instructions would describe HOW.

> You can use the imperative, that is, "Suck eggs" (verb + object - no
declared subject) or
put it in the passive and say "Eggs are sucked by the company" ((Grammatical
subject (real object) + verb in passive + grammatical object (real
subject)).

Yes, but the passive sucks, universally agreed.

> You can also use "will", "must", etc.

Already dealt with in preceding message. Yes you can, just like you can make
scrambled eggs in a cement mixer; it can be done, but badly.

> There are various
recommendations about whether you should use "must", "will", the imperative,
the passive or whatever.

Now, for someone accusing me of inspecificness, you are doing a real good
job of avoiding references and generally being vague.

> In the past the passive was common, but now, due to
its wordiness, it's generally frowned on.

More so than that, our biggest market is Yankville and they groove to
active. Additionally, after quite some _experience_ in writing, active is
generally easier to understand than passive.

> And as you say, "shall" is considered archaic.

OMG- a partial agreement. I hope Allan Charlton is listening, he wont feel
quite so alone anymore :-) HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

> Thus, the imperative (not the simple present) is a very
popular way to give instructions because it's the most concise.

And the HEART of Tech writing is? Oh good.

> However, in
my own experience I find that sticking to one of way of giving instructions
all the time gets a little repetitive and sometimes, in fact, you may wish
to use more words simply for the sake of variety. It also depends on
context.

Oh dear. Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. That's why I
_creatively_ write as well - there's your variety. Good tech writing has
none which is why I turn to creative art outlets to express that deep
burning desire within me for such. Good tech writing is repetitive and
boring because its easier to comprehend when there is variation. Please, I
didn't write the rules for Standardised English, other knowledgeable dudes
did. You are disagreeing with them, so argue with them, not me.

If I have fallen so far, it's only because I fell from the shoulders of
giants... :-)

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
Email:      steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Products:   http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/products.html
Spellbooks: 728 pages of dump left and dropping...