atw: Re: technical writers/editors in Melbourne

  • From: "Rhonda Bracey" <rhonda.bracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:31:31 +0800

Caz said: "I would seriously head to Perth if not for my obligations
here.  Truly.  I would leap at the opportunities over there; would have
packed my bags and gone a couple of years ago.  Still worth going, the
boom is not over yet."

The boom may not be over in Perth/Pilbara, but the gas crisis and the
housing situation are seriously hurting the West at the moment and it's
likely to get a lot worse before it gets better.=20

Housing prices are astronomical and rents are similar - if you can find
somewhere to rent. According to the media (I know, not a reliable
source!), sometimes 100+ people are vying to get the same rental
property, pushing prices up even further. With Perth getting a net rise
in immigration of tens to hundreds every day all coming here for the
'boom', the state's services are at full stretch. Add in the gas/power
crisis and you'll find that several large industries here may be laying
off a LOT of people in the next few weeks/months.

It's not all gloom and doom, but there are some serious infrastructure
and living issues in Perth right now.

Rhonda

Rhonda Bracey=20
rhonda.bracey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx