atw: Re: More on Word 2010

  • From: Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:19:07 +1000

Geoffrey,

I think I have it, but please check, I don't have a copy of Word 2010 to verify ... they are not 'normal' hyphens, they are non-breaking hyphens (inserted using Control + Dash, or Alt 0173). To confirm if this is what is happening, insert a normal hyphen in Word 2010 (it should look normal) then insert a non-breaking hypen (it should look like an em dash).

Don't ask me why Word 2010 shows them like that. However, LibreOffice also shows them differently (with a grey background as though they were fields, but not as em-dashes).

If this is what is happening, it means that (a) the formatting is not corrupted and (b) most likely there is no need for you to read through the document, but I understand you may want to in any case.

If it isn't what is happening, I'll leave it to the people who actually have Word 2010 to do some exploring on the issue ...

Neil.

On 18/07/2011 11:00 AM, Geoffrey Marnell wrote:

Search-and-replace, says Christine. No way! If hyphens corrupted into em dashes, what else might have gone wrong? That’s why I need to reread the whole damn thing to see if anything else has gone haywire even though my brief was to read and comment on just part of the document.

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd

T: +61 3 9596 3456