atw: Re: More on Word 2010

  • From: Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:12:00 +1000

Resending this under the correct (today's) date, I had the clock on my machine changed for documentation work I'm doing ...

Neil.

On 28/06/2011 10:02 AM, Neil Maloney wrote:
I very strongly agree with all of Christine's comments in her recent post, especially the comments below.

Having said that, please note, I have a client who over the last year has managed to end up with two Word 2007 documents corrupted ... and because they were built in Word 2007, which I don't have a copy of, I was not able to help in recovering the documents – Word 2003 "compatibility mode" fell over badly in trying to open the documents under any conditions, including Open and Repair. So, from experience, Word 2007 isn't free from document corruption. (And at no time did these documents come anywhere near Word 2003, until they were individually sent to me to try to recover.)

When we get into discussing the more technical aspects of using Word, for example the things that tend to cause document corruption, if it is going to happen – and it rarely does, but how frustrating is it, and how difficult is it to recover a document when it does happen – then I had thought that everyone on the list would be aware that it is a "more technical" discussion which may be of interest but not of direct relevance to others on the list. The basic rule I am assuming (!) that everyone follows is, before opening and editing a document, create a back-up file (e.g. a zip file) in case something goes wrong, and include e.g. a date and time in the filename to make it unique, giving a series of files that can be reverted to in need.

Being one of the offenders over time, I apologise to anyone on the list who has become worried about using any version of Word because of any of the posts or comments I have made.

Cheers,
Neil.

On 18/07/2011 9:37 AM, Christine Kent wrote:

It is unfair of you “experts” to continue terrorise less experienced users when most of that fear is baseless.

 Firstly, almost all the problems are experienced by advanced users who push the product to its absolute limits.  Novice to average users will rarely knock the product over.

************************************************** To view the austechwriter archives, go to www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter To unsubscribe, send a message to austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field (without quotes). To manage your subscription (e.g., set and unset DIGEST and VACATION modes) go to www.freelists.org/list/austechwriter To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **************************************************