atw: Re: LinkedIn endorsements

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 11:40:15 +1000

I was about to send a post suggesting that Geoffrey and I were in danger of
becoming the grumpy old men of this list for our views on LinkedIn
endorsements when I saw to my relief that others had similar views! I have
posted to this list before about this subject, suggesting that it makes
little sense to endorse someone for something unless you (a) are familiar
with their work - that is, have actually read documents they've produced or
seen other products of their labours - and (b) have some expertise in the
subject yourself. This makes me more churlish than Geoffrey, because it
implicitly casts doubt on some of the endorsements I've received for skills
I do have, as well as obviously implying that endorsing for skills I don't
have is just ridiculous. But Michelle's description of what the process
actually involves is very interesting.

Howard