atw: LinkedIn endorsements

  • From: "Geoffrey" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 08:18:39 +1000

Hello austechies

To the many of you who have endorsed me for skills I do have, thank you. To
those who have endorsed me for skills I do not have, what on earth were you
thinking? Are you deliberately trying to frame in the minds of  others an
image of me that I am not?  Folks, I am not a copy-writer, I have never been
a copy-writer, and don't want in any way to be associated with the
pernicious black-art of copy-writing (with its screaming intensifications
and its implicit belittlements that border on psycho-abuse: "you have not
truly lived unless you have experienced the exhilaration and the sensual
styling of the all new Howdie V12", " Go on, be a real mum and  give them
Caries Flakes for breakfast and" . you get my drift). So why are some you
endorsing my non-existent  copy-writing skills? A miasma of deception
commingling with defamation is nettling my nostrils.

And why are some of you endorsing my software development skills? Crikey,  I
wouldn't know a class statement if it reared up at me in bloody revolution.
And the last time I executed a branch, it fell smashingly on the neighbour's
fence. Stop it, stop it, stop it. Resist the temptation to endorse the
dim-witted guesses of that cog-slipping, Watts-driven perpetuator of
misinformation, that generator of  self-aggrandisement, called LinkedIn.
(Someone admitted the other day, to a table of lunching professionals who
had met through LinkedIn, that she had touched up her LinkedIn photograph to
make her look younger. I'm glad she was frank, because many of us had been
wondering when the other [name withheld] was going to turn up.)

If anyone needs reminding of just how dumb and misleading software can be,
turn on your Microsoft Word's grammar checker. The absurdity of the
recommendations of the world's reputedly smartest programmers  might  just
inspire you to turn off a lot of other software that clogs up our lives with
pretend knowledge while pick-pocketing our  privacy along the way.

In a word: stop misrepresenting others through thoughtless endorsements. It
sours morally no less than a deliberate lie. As does photo-shopping a
glamour you may once have thought you had.

In a world of lies, thank the gods for  Mr Curly and his  duck.

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd

P: 03 9596 3456