atw: Re: I'm going into a documentation management role

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:31:23 +1000

Kate,

The new job sounds like a great opportunity.  If you have management
support, it could be really good and productive.  If management are not
supportive, or if you get a new manager that does not understand what you
are doing then you need to be careful.

My approach is the KISS type, or even the Simple KISS type.

I avoid mentioning Styles and other technical word processor things.  I have
worked with technical teams and they are usually more interested in getting
their work done and have little interest in word processing.

I have a two pronged approach:

- make some simple templates

- training and taskcards on word processing topics.

My templates are ‘empty documents’.  They could be called forms, but I never
use that term out loud.  They usually include:

- a title page

- a doc information page with versions and so on.  There is usually local
style and I keep to that, with a few subtle improvements.

- a table of contents that “automatically updates”.

- a set of sections that start with a Heading 1 and include Heading 2, Body
Text and so on.

- the sections cover the main topic areas of the document.  They prompt the
user to include all the relevant information.

- the sections include text that either reminds them what to type here or
just nonsense text such as ‘Blah blah’.  These notes can be enclosed in
brackets so they can be easily selected and deleted.  I avoid Comments in
the margin, coloured text for notes, ‘magic’ notes that disappear as soon as
you begin typing, and so on.  KISS.   I find that *Lorem ipsum* confuses
people.

These empty documents also have a section, usually at the very end, that has
a sample of each style.  Sometimes I title it Editor’s Notes.

Some styles that I put on the last page:

- a bulleted list

- a second level bulleted list

- some indented text

- a numbered list – automatic

- a numbered list – manual.  This is a style with hanging text and you -
type the number, press Tab, type the text.  It never fails nor renumbers
itself.  Used for inline short lists, and for numbered steps in a process
where you may also have chunks of text and screen shots and so on.

- any other local formats and styles.

The most complex word processing commands I tell them are:

 - Copy

 - Paste

 - type in text.

and I show them *Ctrl + C*, *Ctrl + P* as well.

If the sample styles are comprehensive, the users only need to

- copy a style they want use

- paste the style where they want it

- type in their text

- delete the excess.

Once you have one ‘empty doc’ set up, it is simple and fast to make a second
one to suit a particular purpose when requested.  I make sure that I offer
to make empty documents, and spread the word as soon as I have done one.  Many
people are hesitant to put demands on your time.  Why I don’t know, when
this is your job.  I remind them “This is what I do” and “This is why I am
here”.

Training in the amazing functions of Word.

I run a lunchtime session, and any one-to-one sessions as needed.

I back these up by putting the notes on the local intranet.  The notes
should be kept simple and direct.  Have one process to a note.  Some places
call these taskcards.

Topics I cover include:

- setting tabs

- setting indents

- numbered lists

- generating a table contents

- generated cross references.

I met a ‘Communications Officer’ (PR Person) who was doing the TOCs by
hand!! I am not making this up.

Of course, you should write a task card and run a session on any topic that
seems suitable for the workplace.

Have fun.

Bob Trussler
Phone  0418 661 462