atw: Re: I'm going into a documentation management role

  • From: "Terry Dowling" <Terrence.Dowling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:04:33 +0800

I met a 'Communications Officer' (PR Person) who was doing the TOCs by
hand!! I am not making this up.

I worked with a 'tech writer' who typed the TOC manually. He's the one
who found my template shortly after I'd put it on the intranet and tried
to tell me he'd helped create it. He had difficulty explaining most of
the features.

...all of the internal/external documentation in an organisation and
getting others - not technical writers - to write that documentation

Kate, I'm wondering why they are resisting having a technical writer if
it seems there's enough work to keep one busy and it would free up the
time of the non-writer authors, whose proficiencies I assume lie
elsewhere. It would seem to be a much more logical and efficient route
to having consistent documents.

Cheers,

Terry