atw: Re: I'm going into a documentation management role

  • From: Elizabeth Fullerton <Elizabeth_Fullerton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:37:01 +1000

That sounds like a fantastic role!

My experience has been that when I give a lunchtime session on how to use Word
that it's fairly-well attended by people who use it a lot, and who are amazed
when I start with "this is how styles work and this is why you use them". I
usually get through some of the more common gotchas and spend a lot of time
answering questions. We never have time to cover everything, and everyone
always wants another session.

You will have people like that in your organisation - the ones who want to be
more efficient and spend less time fighting Word, and who will make the effort
to follow what you set, as long as you can show them why it's a good idea. So
that's a good start in moving to new standards (when you decide what they are!)

It will never be 100% perfect, but as long as it pretty much works, you can
call that a success - so start by aiming for that!

Regards

Elizabeth Fullerton, CBAP
Lead Consultant
Infosys Australia & New Zealand