atw: Re: Helping users find your docs via search engines

  • From: Stewart Walker <helpfulau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all

Marcus...

The bank in question is using a very expensive
enterprise search product. Unfortunately I can't name
names at this point in time.

On a previous help project at another big bank we used
the Windows 2000 indexing server and that seemed to be
not too bad for something that's bundled with the
server operating system.

In both cases, we developed our own user interface for
kicking off searches and presenting results. The
default ones that came with both the search engines
referred to above were pretty dodgy from a usability
perspective.

Apparently Google has an enterprise product, but last
I checked it wasn't available outside North America.

A good site to visit to get your fill of search engine
info is www.searchenginewatch.com

Michael G...

Yes, meta data is certainly very important, not to
mention a good opportunity for some bad puns!

Cheers

Stewart