atw: Re: Helping users find your docs via search engines

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:20:49 +1000 (EST)

Hi Stewart (Walker).

As a long time advocate of intelligent document management systems, one very
quickly discovers the nightmare that document searches can become when people
use meaningless file names, stored in an illogical and unintuitive directory
structure, especially where people don't bother to fill in the document
properties metadata in MS Office and many other file formats.  (In my
experience, most people don't even bother to change the Author field, perhaps
avoid responsibility for their awful documents, further down the track.)

Anyway, I just wanted to pitch in and say that filling in that metadata is
important, unless you want a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" scenario with finding
every file.  If you remember, the safest place to store the most dangerous
object (in this case, The Ark of the Covenant) was in a government warehouse /
file store where, unlabelled, nobody could ever relocate it, except by chance.

Remember: Your metadata might not meta you, but it metas to a lot of other
people!

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas