atw: Re: Help!!! Word, master documents & styles

  • From: "Matilda Reich" <matildar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:54:21 +1100

Hello David,

I have a bigger yuk, or more like an eeek!
I am looking for work now after three years out of circulation due to being
a full-time mum (how old fashioned of me!).
I remember encountering the same problem after updating the TOC.  Since you
also experienced it in Word 2002 (oh my gosh, my experience was with Word
97!), I can only suggest the following:
1)    it's a Word bug - service releases can sometimes fix such probs
2)    check the style of the text in the original table cell format, perhaps
it is too similar to TOC 3 style - especially if it is an indented style.

Did you find that your updated TOC contained these unwanted table text at
TOC 3 level?

One thing to beware of with styles - dont change Normal unless it's a
universal style requirement.

Here's a Tip (if you didnt know already):
Format - Style - Modify:  whatever aspect you choose to alter, NEVER click
the tick box "Automatically update" but DO click the check box "Add to
template".
The former will continue to modify the current style as you type.  Sometimes
we change the format of a font on the fly but dont check first if this check
box has been clicked. (usually in legacy documents by less experienced Word
users).

I once had a messy style problem to deal with that involved indented para
numbering (another speciality) and upon checking the document's styles,
found that the "automatically update" box had been ticked in almost every
case.  This means that (style-wise) TOC3 heading on page 4 was not the same
as the TOC 3 heading on page 6, say.
Anyhow, I think Word does the best it can and collects what it perceives to
be all TOC3 headings.
Hope this helps a bit.  I have the time to meet in Sydney but dont know if I
have the depth of knowledge you need.
PS - very interested in Framemaker: are you going to work on something using
this app or are you saying you hope your next long doc project will involve
this app instead of Word?

Matilda Reich