atw: Re: Help!!! Word, master documents & styles

  • From: "BIRTLEY-KENT,Christine" <Christine.BIRTLEY-KENT@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:08:12 +1100 (EST)

If you have a good clean template and every bit of text attached to a
style, the styles in your documents may still change when you import or
insert them.

Word seems to be keeping some kind of secret history of styles, and
applies styles according to some mysterious logic.  I have found that
frequently one style will drop out, and be replaced by some obscure
style - maybe BodyText is replaced by Header.  This is quite consistent
for this particular file, but for another file on an identical template,
Bullet1 may be replaced by BodyText3.  You get the idea.  I have no idea
why this happens.  It seems random but repeatable.

Things I have done:
I have  switched off whatever it is that creates those ludicrous
character styles, and have stopped them, so that is not the problem. (I
switched off a whole lot of things and can't remember where this command
was.)

I have completely cleaned up my template.  I have removed ALL character
styles.  I have removed every style not used leaving only paragraph
styles in use.  I have removed ALL table styles - these contain
automatic table formatting - in case they were over-ruling my manually
set styles. (I have not tried creating a table style to apply to my
tables.)

I have tried checking the final paragraph mark in the document to see if
it is in the style that is taking over, but nothing so simple.

I have tried creating new files on the final pristine and wondrous
template and importing the text, but seems like I am importing the style
command with the text.

If this is your problem and you solve it, please let me know how.  Maybe
one of the ideas above will help in your case.

Christine