atw: Re: Help!!! Word, master documents & styles

  • From: "Matilda Reich" <matildar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:22:12 +1100

Christine,
You are spot on.... I remember similar probs.  Yes there is a feature
(somewhere) where if you do have to import text (polluted with someone
else's styles) you are best off to strip all formating first and import it
as plain text.
I do believe the main culprit is the 'Automatically Update' check box under
Format Style Modify, which is often clicked. It should only be used when you
are creating a template of styles (no text) and you are changing your mind
as you go.  Once you have settled on your style features in the template you
should ensure 'Automatically Update' is deselected for each style before you
begin the text.  It's a pest that this check box applies to each style and
not to the whole template (should be a global feature).  I avoid this check
box altogether.

Another way this mess is done is when people append their style to normal.
You may as well go home then...
Avoid indented styles and table styles, if you can.
I also remember there is a feature in Styles where you can identify that one
style always follows the other (eg. BoxText3 always comes after Heading 3).
This can also create problems with legacy documents but should not do so
with fresh documents.
Unfortunately, even cutting pasting innocent looking text from another
application, even email, can trigger this cascade.
As a DTP, Word definitely has severe limits.
Matilda Reich