atw: Re: haven't heard from them since

  • From: "Matilda Reich" <matildar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:36:01 +1100

Bruce,
You are so right! I spoke too soon... those blasted emails have returned and
more to boot.  I was immune up till very recently as my email address is a
secondary account.
I delete them as soon as I spot them in my Inbox and then delete my Deleted
Items box.
Recently caught the funlove.gen virus and took four days of removal using
Ad-aware and McAfee.  It used to be that you had to either click on an
executable or save an attachment, but this happened because I made the
mistake of opening a "Microsoft Support"  email individually in another
window of Outlook.  Apparently these days that's all it takes.

The worst are MyDoom or Norvag - these open a backdoor to your PC for
hackers via the internet and literally make a zombie of your machine (talk
about body-snatchers!).  (Oh Brave New World.....)
PS - I gather there is no way to "opt out of spam" because of the difficulty
of tracing the origin.
Matilda Reich