atw: Re: Dear Sir/Madam,

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:08:11 +1000

Well, I'm in Canberra - but I don't think this is a regional thing. As
I said, in practice almost everyone writes 'Hi Fred'. But I can't help
thinking about the grammar and how you would parse the  sentence. And
logically I think the comma is needed. Doesn't mean I'm going to use
it in practice, though.
Howard