atw: Re: Dear Sir/Madam,

  • From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:27:47 +1000

I think the definition of "know" is getting very blurry in these connected
times! I work with engineers on the other side of the world that I have
never physically met, but that I know very well. In a similar vein, the fact
that we are all on this list, have contributed to discussions, and read and
enjoyed posts by each other give us a level of "knowing" each other, even
though we have never (and, in some cases, may never) actually shake hands.

Mailing lists are strange beasts, in that they provide both a sense of
anonymity, yet create a community where none previously existed.

--
Cheers! Lana

Quarrel? Nonsense; we have not quarreled. If one is not to get into a rage
sometimes, what is the good of being friends?
  - George Eliot

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.