atw: Re: Dear Sir/Madam,

  • From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 06:55:17 +1000

Hi Bob,

I work in a fairly informal environment, so possibly I'm not the best person
to comment. For what it's worth though, here's what I do:

If it's addressed to a single person, and I know their name: Hi Tom (less
formal) or Dear Tom (more formal)
If it's addressed to more than one person: Hi everyone (less formal) or
Hello (more formal) or Hi all (very casual)
email address: Hi (in all circumstances)

Pet hate: When the email is addressed to "admin@" and the email starts
"Hello Admin". Please acknowledge that there are real people behind those
email addresses, not faceless "admin" (or "support") drones.

I can also understand the use of "Dear Mr Jones" or whatever too, and I
would use it where appropriate. Our company is one of those first-names-only
sort, though, so I don't get much occasion to trot out the Misters and
Misses (which brings me to another point about assuming gender. But that's a
rant for another day).

--
Cheers! Lana

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com