atw: Re: Dear Sir/Madam,

  • From: Amanda Cat <amandacat22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 04:21:50 +0000

>  Where are yous, Howard and Amanda, located? J

Sunny (hahaha) Melbourne.

I went and took grammar classes after high school to learn what they didn't
teach me in high school and that's how I was taught.  Always use a comma when
directly addressing someone/something. It doesn't matter whether the direct
address is at the beginning or end of the sentence - it must* be offset.

I think, having a quick scour of the interwebs, that many teachers don't seem
to teach this anymore. There are some very passionate people out there
lamenting its loss!

:)

Amanda

* Yes, I say 'must', but it's a changin' world....

From: suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: atw: Re: Dear Sir/Madam,
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:03:53 +1000

Hello,

Wow – that’s never occurred to me – to write
Hi, Jane

I would write “Dear Jane,”, “Hi Jane”  but never “Hi, Jane”

I understand the grammatical pause – but I’m not sure that I would want it –
maybe “Hi Jane,” ...

It’s not in common use in Australia as far I am aware.

Where are yous, Howard and Amanda, located? J

Regards Suzy

Suzy Davis
Microsoft Word Templates
& Documentation Projects