[AR] Re: Safing of liquid vehicle

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:57:26 -0600

Three no, but more than one. The battery curves are pretty flat. It's only a
12-bit ADC and the accuracy is much worse than the resolution as is typical.
The battery was sized based on max current draw so a convenient side effect is
about 3 hr of runtime (2600 mAh). This should handle contingencies such as
extended troubleshooting and having to search for it for an hour or more.

-Bob

On Nov 12, 2015, at 10:40, Derek Lyons <fairwater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The battery will only be powering the vehicle for a few minutes - you don't
need three decimal points of accuracy.

D.

On Nov 12, 2015 5:27 AM, "Robert Watzlavick" <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That was the plan, use an internal or external relay to disconnect the
charger prior to the countdown so the battery voltage can be checked. But
from what I read, to get a really accurate reading you have to wait a few
hours with the battery disconnected from everything. Laptops apparently use
coulomb counting:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

General point taken though - KISS principle is always a good idea.

-Bob

On Nov 12, 2015, at 02:40, Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've never been a fan of at-launch umbilical power disconnect. If there's
something wrong with the electrical system you want to find out before the
rocket is moving. That's why all the big boys go to internal power a few
minutes before the instant of launch.

This whole thing has been a fun discussion, but I hope you don't implement
much of it. Keep it simple. Add features only as proven necessary.

Ben

On Thursday, November 12, 2015, Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
It works for cell phones and electric toothbrushes so I don't see why it
wouldn't work on a larger scale. I wonder how far away you need to keep
signal wires to prevent EMI? You'd have to duplicate the filtering
components to clean it up to DC afterwards but it seems like a reasonable
idea.

-Bob

On 11/11/2015 01:54 PM, George Herbert wrote:
Has anyone tried large inductive coils? Say, around the whole pad and
whole vehicle, bringing 12 V AC in or something?

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone