[AR] Re: Safing of liquid vehicle

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 17:54:14 -0600

Was the key some sort of microswitch-actuated thing or a real key?

-Bob

On 11/08/2015 12:41 PM, qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The condor team used 3 "remove before flight" keys where the presence of the key prevented electrical contact to the fuel valve the abort in flight system and the pyro for both the abort and recovery systems.

Robert

At 09:11 AM 11/8/2015, you wrote:
I'm working on the power electronics for my liquid rocket and I'm trying to decide the best way to handle safing of the vehicle during pad activities. The absolutely safest way is to just turn off all power to the vehicle during propellant loading and troubleshooting but I'd like to keep the avionics (IMU, pressure sensors, etc.) powered and warmed up for best stability. The valves are controlled via RS-232 servos (AX-12) so there's little chance they would get an uncommanded actuation. I thought about having a SAFE/ARM switch that controls power to the igniter CDI, igniter valves, recovery system, and maybe also the servo valves (main, vent, helium). However, I'd want to make sure that switch is appropriately vibration and shock rated so I don't get intermittent power interruptions when the vehicle is operating. What has been done in the past? Here's a good question - if you were helping me out on the pad, what level of safing would you want to see for your personal safety?

Thanks,
-Bob