[AR] Re: Safing of liquid vehicle

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 08:53:47 -0600

Interesting idea for the pneumatically controlled switch. If you had a micro-sized air actuator connected to a switch or circuit breaker, you could use clear plastic tubing that slips off at launch to run it.

At some point I may need remote pressurization but for now I'm sticking to certified tanks and 3000 psi rated valves for the high pressure helium. I was happy when I realized the Swagelok 4P4T plug valve could be run by the servo - that made for a lightweight high pressure solution. The vent valves will remain open until just before launch (and they are fairly large - 3/8 inch) so a helium valve leak would just bleed out the tank vents.

You know, one thing that I realized with all this talk about lockouts, is that if something goes really wrong, I would rather have a normal start than a hard start. For a liquid, it wouldn't do any good to just lock out the igniter and not also the main valve because if the main valve opened on its own and had no ignition, that's a more dangerous situation in my opinion. But locking out all of them is straightforward.

-Bob

On 11/10/2015 03:38 AM, Monroe L. King Jr. wrote:

One more thing and I'll shut up for a while. On a pressure feed rocket
locking out the pressurant may be more practical as without that the
open supply lines would not leak much fuel past the injectors.

Remote filling of the pressurant would be easier than remote fuel and
oxidizer filling.

It would also be very easy to put a leak detector below the nozzle to
give pad workers time to lockout the main valves or run.

A sufficient size vent valve would prevent lox from building up pressure
to feed it's self during filling.

From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, November 10, 2015 1:47 am
To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think a pneumatic switch near the pad would be the best solution. Have
that switch activate your circuit breaker for main power.
I think primary logic systems could safely be activated and the ground
crew could monitor systems other than main control such as telemetry and
comms.
All main control systems would be tied to that main breaker and
inoperative during pad operations. Allowing other on board systems to be
active.

The line on the pressurizing end of the pneumatic switch would not be
connected until the pad is clear.