[AR] Re: Re[2]: Re: ORS-4 ("Super Strypi") Hawaii launch delayed

  • From: David Weinshenker <daze39@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 07:10:12 -0800

On 11/04/2015 06:54 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

On 11/4/2015 4:10 AM, Monroe L. King Jr. wrote:
I think it's a new guidance system. My bet is there was a flaw in
the control algorithm or it was a sensor error or perhaps just plain
mistake in one of the components of that system.

As I understand it, there is no guidance system as such on the first
stage. The launch rail is used to set the azimuth, and canted fins
provide a 150 rpm spin. Second and third stages have cold gas attitude
control systems that maintain a fixed attitude with the spin rate
decreased to less than 60 rpm.

Hmmm... to make that work would require a really accurate understanding
of the correlation between launch elevation and gravity turn behavior!

(I'd be skeptical of being able model and simulate with sufficient
precision - a Vanguard-style "pitch program" control almost sounds
like it would be easier...)

-dave w