[AR] Re: Arocket Pump Progress

  • From: "Russell Blink" <russblink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:42:07 -0500

I'm agnostic, I like the simplicity of the Barske and I think both can do the
job just fine. I have a soft spot for the Barske because of its simplicity and
think that for arocket it may be more appropriate since simpler tools and
setups are employed. I may be putting together a rocket powered dragster soon
and would like to try pump fed since weight is of less concern and battery
space is ample.

Russ

From: "Russell Blink" <russblink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, July 15, 2015 3:20 pm
To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The machining on any of these small impellers is pretty easy, until it
requires swarf milling on our 5-axis machine they are all about the same. I
turn the profile, cut around the vanes then part, pretty straight forward.
I do have to use a fairly small endmill so the machining time is a bit longer
than you would expect for such a small part, but not horrible. (I should say
easy for our lathe since I can do it all in one setup and if I need to
machine on the back side transfer to the sub-spindle is simple)

These small impellers are all inefficient ~65% would be good, pretty much
what a Barske will do and you don't have to worry about undue regenerative
heating or possibly the stall point of the partial extraction curve.
Tip/face clearance is the biggest difference if you ask me.

Russ Blink

From: Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, July 14, 2015 8:10 am
To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 14/07/15 14:36, Monroe L. King Jr. wrote:
That does help some! Thank you. I do believe working from this
design is better than trying to go with a V-2 design :)

It's not bad, but if I was designing a turbopump I'd use the Merlin
engine turbopump as an example. It's a pretty good one.

http://www.barber-nichols.com/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/images/me
rlin_turbopump.jpg

The picture is pretty small, but it shows most things: at the
bottom, from left to right, there is the LOX pump with integral
inducer, the shaft with fuel pump and inducer, the turbine wheel.

It is a reaction turbine, and I think a partial admission one - a
reaction turbine has less end thrust than an impulse turbine, and
in theory only a very low pressure differential across the disk -
with a single shaft with two pumps, both with screw inducers,
pumping in opposite directions to balance end thrust.

Note that the turbine gas flows to the left, creating a leftward
end thrust on the shaft, and the LOX flows to the left, creating a
rightward end thrust to balance both the turbine end thrust and the
lesser leftwards thrust of the fuel pump (fuel flows to the right).

For a smaller engine I would consider Barske style partial emission
pumps, or closed impellers; if nothing else, in order to make
construction easier. Perhaps tesla inducers too.

-- Peter Fairbrother