[AR] Re: Arocket Pump Progress

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:10:25 +0100

On 14/07/15 14:36, Monroe L. King Jr. wrote:

That does help some! Thank you. I do believe working from this design is
better than trying to go with a V-2 design :)

It's not bad, but if I was designing a turbopump I'd use the Merlin engine turbopump as an example. It's a pretty good one.

http://www.barber-nichols.com/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/images/merlin_turbopump.jpg

The picture is pretty small, but it shows most things: at the bottom, from left to right, there is the LOX pump with integral inducer, the shaft with fuel pump and inducer, the turbine wheel.

It is a reaction turbine, and I think a partial admission one - a reaction turbine has less end thrust than an impulse turbine, and in theory only a very low pressure differential across the disk - with a single shaft with two pumps, both with screw inducers, pumping in opposite directions to balance end thrust.

Note that the turbine gas flows to the left, creating a leftward end thrust on the shaft, and the LOX flows to the left, creating a rightward end thrust to balance both the turbine end thrust and the lesser leftwards thrust of the fuel pump (fuel flows to the right).

For a smaller engine I would consider Barske style partial emission pumps, or closed impellers; if nothing else, in order to make construction easier. Perhaps tesla inducers too.

-- Peter Fairbrother