[AR] Re: Arocket Pump Progress

  • From: J Farmer <jfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:34:46 -0400

On 7/13/2015 3:54 PM, Eric Robbins wrote:

Double exit (180 degrees apart) from the pump volute should eliminate
the radial and balance the axial loads on the pump side too, I would
think. FEA could confirm, but that's not in my wheelhouse...

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Uwe Klein <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 12.07.2015 um 21:47 schrieb Peter Hokanson:

As far as I'm aware, the right thing to do is either do some careful
analysis to ensure that your thrust forces all counteract (are there
any from your turbine?),

Do a double sided turbine wheel ( and housing.)

should balance all axial loads and removes the issue
of backflow on the flat side.

uwe

Would doing a double sided turbine wheel increase the capability? What about machining costs, bearing and seal loads? would they be in the same range as a single sided wheel design?

John