[argyllcms] Re: simulating a device using device links

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:07:04 +1000

Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

Hi,

> A proofing transform is a combination of at least two transforms. The

Not according to my definition it doesn't !

> first transform converts into the to be simulated colour space. The

But that transform is something that shouldn't be simulated at all -
it should be the actual rendering system. It's unlikely you know
exactly what it's doing in order to be able to emulate it, so
it's best not to try to.

> second converts into the actual proofing device space. The image
> processing happens in one go, hence the desire for one single device link.

And then you only need one simulation/transform - from the device
space being simulated into the device space of the printer being
used for proofing.

Of course if you really think you know what your rendering system is
doing (say you are assuming that it is just "dumb" linking two
ICC profiles), then you could create a simulation workflow using
cctiff, either :

        input space -> simulated space -> simulated space -> printing device

or you could use collink to pre link the two transforms, and then using
cctiff to apply the two device links in succession.